Sunday, June 3, 2007

This Week's Races

This past week, Bryan and I ran in 2 races together.

Last Sunday we ran in the The Team Hoyt 5k in Waltham. I have talked about Rick and Dick Hoyt before in my blog as they are two people whom I really admire in running. Due to some health problems, they were not able to run Boston this past year, which was a disappointment for me. When I heard about their 5k, I knew I wanted to participate. Bryan and I ran it together which was really nice to push each other. It was a fairly hilly course and although I didn't get a PR, I did manage to come in 1st place in my age group!! They had a pizza party after and introduced some other families that had come from NH and NJ with their children who have disabilities. It was a a special event to participate in and the highlight of the day for me was getting to meet Rick and Dick and getting my picture taken with them.


Then on Thursday evening we ran in The Blues 4.2 mile Race, part of a 5 race summer series. Its a fun race with music, a BBQ, and free Harpoon beer after the run. Last year, Bryan always beat me by a couple minutes....enough time for him to grab water and walk back over to the finish line to watch me finish. This year was different though....we ran together for the first 3.5 miles and were both feeling good. With about 1/2 mile to go, he picked up the pace a bit and started to pull away from me. I wasn't going to let that happen this year so I tried hard to keep behind him. Although I didn't beat him, he was surprised to see me finish just 18 seconds behind him (watch time =31:16; gun time = 31:42)!! That's 3 minutes faster than my best time last year.....looks like my track work and tempo runs are working! My goal for these races over the summer is to (1) beat Bryan and (2) finish under 30 minutes......you can bet that I am going to work really hard at #1 :)

2 comments:

Janette said...

Brian ain't got nothin' on you!

No offense, Brian. : )

GB said...

Sarah thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. What a great picture of you with Team Hoyt. I really admire them too! I wish I could've seen them run Boston this year, but next year for sure.

You are fast! Great 5 mile race time! I'm sure you will have no problem BQing at your next marathon. Looking forward to reading about your training, and hopefully seeing you in Hopkinton next year.