Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New Recipe of the Week: Healthy Fried Rice

A few weeks ago, I found myself trying to come up with something for dinner. A few problems....we didn't have much in the house, neither of of us wanted to go to the store, and I was craving Chinese food. After a quick search on Epicurious, I found the following recipe for Fried Rice and thought I'd give it a try.

The best part? Since I made it at home, I could keep it much, much healthier than anything you would get as take out! I used cooked chicken as my meat, brown basmati rice (its what I had in the pantry), and just threw in whatever veggies I had on hand. It turned out really yummy and was so fast and easy to make....especially if you already have the meat and rice from leftovers!

(with my edits)

  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped (I didn't have scallions on hand so I just used some diced onion)
  • 1 cup leftover pork, chicken, or beef, diced (I used cooked chicken)
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed (plus any leftover vegetables you have on hand...I used frozen peas, fresh carrots, and fresh red peppers)
  • 4 cups cold cooked white or brown rice (any rice is fine..I used brown basmati rice)
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce (I used low sodium soy sauce)

1. In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.


2. Add the eggs and scallions. Cook, breaking up the eggs with a spoon until they are lightly browned.


3. Stir in the meat, vegetables, rice, and the remaining oil. Increase heat slightly and cook until the rice is crispy, about 5 minutes.


4. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce with 4 tablespoons of water. Pour the mixture over the rice.


5. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, 3 to 5 minutes.


6. Season with the salt and pepper and serve, with extra soy sauce on the side.

1 comment:

SD said...

Sarah~ I tried this recipe tonight with Tofu instaed of chicken. Delish!!