Sunday, February 14, 2010

Practicing What I Preach

On Friday afternoon, I sent out my weekly training e-mail to the marathon charity team I coach. This week's topic was on motivation and how no run is a bad run.

"During good runs, you finish feeling awesome about yourself and your training. Even during tough runs when you just want it to be over, you finish and feel a sense of accomplishment because you toughed it out and did it even though you were tired. No matter how the run goes, doing it will always feel better than not doing it! "


Immediately after sending the e-mail, I headed out to a yoga class. For some reason, I just could not get comfortable during class. The room seemed hotter than usual, my stomach wasn't feeling very good (and the heat wasn't helping), my nose was all stuffed up making proper breathing difficult, and my asthma was bothering me. I kept thinking about how awful this practice was going and just wanted it to be over!

Midway through class, I remembered my e-mail. Yoga is much like running....no practice is a bad practice. Maybe this one wasn't going as I had planned, but just like a run, sometimes you need to adjust your goals. So I backed off and let my body dictate how far to go. I was still happy when the 75 minute class was over, but I definitely felt better than if I hadn't done anything at all.

I guess sometimes I do give good advice!! Now if only I could practice what I preach when it comes to foam rolling and stretching after every run :)

No comments: