Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Recipe of the Week: Quick Paella

I know its been a while since I posted a ROTW, but I'm back!

Bryan and I LOVE Mexican food! While I'm guessing this recipe wouldn't classify as "authentic Mexican" it does satisfy my South of the Border cravings. It is also perfect post run as it has plenty of carbs and protein in it. Its fairly easy to prepare and it makes enough to feed an army!! You could have your entire run club over for dinner post long run and still have leftovers! Don't worry about the exact amounts of stuff as it doesn't really matter. The recipe does have a fair amount of sodium in it (if you use Mexican boxed rice), but otherwise its pretty healthy.....and definitely yummy! Enjoy!

(modified by me!)

3/4 pound cooked chorizo sausage, cut into chunks (I used chicken sausage and cooked it in the skillet)
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1-pound bag saffron rice (I couldn't find this so I used a family size box of Mexican rice with the seasoning)
1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained (I used artichokes in a jar)
1 8-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup white wine (or another cup of broth)
1 pound large shrimp, peeled
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
2 cups of water

1. In a large skillet with a lid (use the largest skillet you have.....mine was definitely overflowing!), brown the sausage in the oil until crispy, about 5 minutes (more if your sausage isn't pre-cooked).
2. Add the rice, artichoke hearts, peppers, broth or wine, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
3 Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4 Stir in the shrimp and peas. Cover and continue cooking until the shrimp are opaque, 5 to 7 minutes.

No comments: