Sunday, January 24, 2010

Keep Movin' On

I've been meaning to write this blog for over a year now and just never got around to it. Something happened today that made me think it would be the perfect time to write it! I know I usually keep this blog 'neutral' as far as non-running things (politics, religion, etc.) but I just have to share this story and the amazing music that has come from it.

I am lucky to have amazingly supportive running friends, many of whom are actually imaginary. Now before you call the people in the white coats and put me in a padded room, hear me out! For over a year now, I've been participating in an online running forum initially created for people running the Boston Marathon. But I found that it is so much more than that. These people have become friends, some of which I've meet in person and some who continue to be known as their screen name. Running Boston is what brought us together, but we've all gotten to know each other as more than just runners.

One of these people is Greg Coplen. Greg is an awesome runner....he just ran the Houston Marathon last weekend in 2:49:44!!! But what impresses me even more about Greg is his story and the way he has turned his life around. Just 5 years ago, Greg was an alcoholic. After hitting rock bottom and almost loosing his family, he turned to God to help save him.

With God's help, he has since turned his life around, recorded an amazing CD titled "Coming On Again" and started the Greg Coplen Ministries . His music has become a regular on my ipod and I love when one of his songs comes on during a run. I know what you are thinking....religious music for running?? His music is NOTHING like the hymns you sing in church! My favorites are If you see my heart, Coming On Again, and Movin' On but really the whole CD rocks! You can listen to the CD on his website and read more about his story.

What prompted me to write this blog today was a new video he made and posted online. No matter what your religious beliefs are, I urge you to watch this short 10 minute video and listen to Greg's message and music. Pass it along to others you think might need it and if you love his music as much as I do, you can buy the CD on itunes.

Thanks Greg for all you do. And as far as I'm concerned, you will never be singing alone!

4 comments:

Dave Boyle said...

Just watched the Cope Vid. Thanks for calling attention to it.

Maria said...

I get the imaginary friend thing and I thank you for sharing. Incredible!

Todd Wright said...

Great post, great video, great blog! Thanks! I have to admit, I'm always a little dubious of these sorts of ministries, but Greg seems to be the real deal. His songs are great! I wouldn't be surprised if Nashville scoops him up one of these days and gives him a wider audience. I hope they do. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just saw this thing Pretz! Thanks so much for posting this! It really made my day today.

Cope