Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 Already!?!?

I know people say this every year, but seriously where did the time go? It seems like just yesterday (or 365 days ago) that I was writing a 2008 recap!

Do you ever notice that it takes a major event (like say the end of a decade) to fully realized the changes you've made in your life and just how big some of the accomplishments are? 10 Years ago I was in my second year of college. Since then I've graduated from college, went to grad school, got married, started my career, and ran 6 marathons! Speaking of running....in the spring of 2007, I ran my first marathon at a 9:32 min/mile pace. In just 2.5 years, I ran Philly at an 8:05 min/mile.....that 1:30 PER MILE faster! Just 3 years ago, I couldn't even run a 5k at my current marathon pace! Although things don't always seem to change in the day to day life, looking back over the past 10 years I realize just how far I've come on this journey called life!

Instead of doing my standard recap of 2009, I thought I would run through it David Letterman style. So here you go....the top 10 events that happened in my life during 2009!


#10 - Re-discovering my yoga practice and committing to maintain it (this one would have been higher up the list but it happened so late in the year)
#9 - Overcoming an injury in early summer and staying p
ositive during that time
#8 - Becoming a USATF certified Track and Field Coach
#7 - Running the Boston Marathon as a qualified runner
#6 - Listening to my body and doing what it tells me rather than what my training schedule tells me. Keeping flexibility in my training also goes along with this one....flexibility is not really in my nature (see #2)
#5 - Running 1766 miles in 2009!!
#4 - Running a 7+ minute PR in the Philadelphia Marathon!!
#3 - Sharing the Philly race course and experience with my husband and parents
#2 - Not being afraid to take chances while doing what makes me happy rather than worrying about what other people think so much (I'm constantly working on this one as I am a classic "over achiever, type A, wants to please everyone" kind of person, but I think I did a pretty good job this year)
*
*
*
*
and the #1 thing that happened in 2009
*
*
*
#1 - I became a stronger person, wife, and friend....and really isn't this all we can ask for year after year?

Here's hoping that you all had a great 2009 and that 2010 turns out to be even better for all of us!! Thanks for following along with this blog and my journey. I hope something I've written has inspired you to take some chances of your own over the past year...and if not, hopefully I at least made you laugh :)

1 comment:

Maria said...

Fab recap!!! 2009 was a good one for sure!