Sunday, February 21, 2010

Now that's what I'm talking about!

This past week of training went well. In fact it went really well! There were a few runs that stood out that I'll share with you.

Monday: 10 mile run with 4 miles at lactate threshold pace. Tempo runs are definitely my weakness. They intimidate the heck out of me and I usually dread them for a couple days leading up to it. Not this time as I set out without any definite plans for my run. I felt good and decided to go for the tempo pace. 3 mile warm up and 3 miles cool down sandwiched my 4 miles at LT pace (7:38, 7:30, 7:33, 7:33). I'm really happy with the last mile as this was into a pretty strong headwind.

Thursday: After skipping my run on Wednesday in exchange for playing with my cats, making a yummy dinner, and cuddling on the couch with Bryan watching the Olympics (I think I made the right decision!), Bryan and I set out on Thursday evening for a 10 mile medium-long run. This was Bryan's first double digit mid-week run! We ran the opposite way of the marathon course (into another headwind!) and then came back up the hills. Besides some asthma issues on my side, it was a nice run for both of us.

Saturday: Another type of run that I dread are my marathon pace long runs. I usually see them in my program a few weeks in advance and the anxiety builds all week when its coming. While on our recovery run Friday night, I decided to spring the idea of some MP miles in our 18 mile long run the next morning. He was game for it so we decided to play it by ear and see how the morning went. Even though I wasn't really feeling it and my asthma was still acting up (getting it checked out this week), we had a GREAT long run!! 18.3 miles with 10 miles at marathon goal pace....8:19, 8:12, 8:23, 8:10, 8:17, 8:40 (quick stop to take my inhaler), 8:11, 8:06, 7:54, 8:27. It was a huge confidence booster for both of us....Bryan felt great and I learned that I can still hit my paces even when I'm not feeling great.

Throw in a couple easier runs and it was a great week for both of us. 8 weeks until Boston....Bring It!!

PS. In case you are trying to do the math in your head, Bryan has finally stated a goal time. In his words "I'm want to qualify like a girl.....sub-3:40!"

2 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Nice job on the long run! MP runs really freak me out too. Perhaps that's why I'm resisting actually figuring out a pace LOL.

Maria said...

You totally knocked it outta the park!!! Must have been the banana bread!! Note to self: get ingredients for banana bread.

Yay for you and Bryan!