Friday, June 8, 2007

Ouch!

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness......ouch! I have been trying to be better about fitting strength training into my weekly routine - lifting my legs 1x a week and upper body/core 2x a week. So on Wednesday after my 4 mile recovery run, I went to the gym and did lunges, squats, and dead lifts....upping the weight for all of them. I felt good at the time, but ~24 hours later I was hurting.

I headed out for an 8 mile run last night and it was a pain in the butt.....literally! The actual run went a lot better than I expected - I felt strong and easily held a 8:50 pace the entire time. But man did my butt and hamstring muscles hurt! I went to get in my car after I was done and it hurt to sit down!

So my dilemma is this - when do I lift my legs? If I do it on an easy run day then I am left sore for a hard run the next day. If I do it on a hard run day then my legs are already fatigued from running, but I have the next day to recover with an easy run. I guess it will be a little trial and error!

2 comments:

David Wihl said...

What did you eat after your workout Wed? You probably didn't have enough protein soon enough after exercising. See "Optimal Muscle Performance and Recovery" by Edmund Burke. Much of the book is a veiled brochure for Endurox but there some pretty bits for avoiding DOMS.

Congrats on your running progress! I'm spending much more time on the bike right now, gearing up for my first century mid-July. (Imagine 6+ hrs in the saddle at a lower intensity than 4+ hours running).

-David

Sarah said...

David -- Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did drink a protein shake when I got home...I wish that was the problem, but unfortunately I am just a wimp! I'll check out that book though.

Good luck with your century!