Sunday, April 8, 2007

A Day of Lasts

This morning I ran my last "long run" of 8.5 miles along Comm Ave in Newton. I have run this stretch of the course at least once a week for the past 3 months, but today it was different. Today was my last time running those hills before Marathon Monday. It was a slightly unsettling feeling knowing that the next time I will see Heartbreak Hill I'll have a bib pinned to my shirt, thousands of other runners around me, and hundreds of people cheering for me. I used to be afraid of those hills.........I mean Heartbreak Hill is arguably the most famous hill in the running world! But they don't scare me anymore. I have been up and down those hills so many times over the past few months and I have learned as much as I can about each and every turn, incline, and step I will take along that road. I have left my blood, sweat, and tears on those hills and I refuse to let any part of that pavement take this experience away from me! I still have a bump on my chin from those hills!

After I finished my run, Bryan and I got ready for church to celebrate Easter Sunday. I felt especially blessed today knowing that I have been given this amazing gift and the ability to run this marathon. To add to that, my running has helped raise almost $3,800 for Boston Medical Center.

Getting dressed for church, I traded in my running tights for a skirt and my sneakers for high heels and realized that today was the last day I plan to wear heels before the marathon (I need to rest my feet so it will be flats all week!) After church we went out to brunch in the South End at a place called Masa. I had a mimosa with my meal and realized that this was the last drink I will have before the marathon. I know these "lasts" aren't quite as significant as the previous one, but it fit with the theme of the day so we'll go with it :)

I think its just making it all seem so real -- all these lasts. Sure, I wish I had a few more weeks to train.....get in a few more long runs, hill repeats, or interval workouts. But the fact is that I am ready for this......8 more days until I see those hills again!!

2 comments:

David Wihl said...

Sarah, it was nice meeting you on the course yesterday after following your blog for the last several months. I was the one in the BMC shirt and the bright yellow IQ cap.

I didn't mean to surprise you that someone you don't know is actually reading your blog, but it's been fun comparing your training with mine. Due to family and religious reasons, my long runs have been on Sundays instead of Saturdays, so I haven't been able to participate in the BMC team runs. Following your blog as well as several others have been helpful in feeling part of a team in a virtual way. (It was David Brown's blog in last year's marathon that I found out about the BMC Charity program in the first place).

Raising money for a good cause ($9500 so far) with the tremendous support of others has made the challenge of running a first marathon all the more meaningful for me. I'd recommend it for everyone.

Best of luck and thanks for your blog!

-David (bib #23142)

Tim Pretz said...

Sarah, We have enjoyed your reflections over the past six months. Never knew you had it in you--both as a runner and a philospher!

We'll be the one making the most noise on Monday, cheering you on. "Sarah" might mean princess--but you're one tough princess!!

Love you,

Mom and Dad