Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Glass Slippers

Even though I don't mind getting sweaty during a run (its a sign I worked hard!), I am very much a girly girl and like to have stylish running gear. My shorts are always coordinated with my shirts and I've been known to even match my sports bra or socks if possible (can you say slight OCD?). And while I definitely pick my running shoes based on fit and what is right for my foot, I do secretly hope that the newest model of my shoe will be in pretty colors. Or at least not totally ugly!

A few weeks ago Bryan and I went to Marathon Sports because we both needed new shoes. I needed new light weight trainers as I've been doing speed work and racing in the Asics Speedstars for about a year now. Of course they had a new model of my shoe and the moment I saw it only one word came to my mind: UG-LY! But I didn't let that affect me and I tried on the shoe. As soon as I put my foot in the shoe I could tell something was different. It did not fit my foot at all! I talked to the sales associate and she told me about improvements that Asics made to the shoe. These so called improvements were not good for me. And of course they no longer had my older model of the shoe.

So what's a girl to do? Try on other light weight trainers! Now, I don't switch shoes lightly. I've been running in the Asics Cumulus for years now and have gone through many models without any issues. I've been wanting to try the Nike's Lunar line so I tried on the LunarElite and it felt ok but not great. I tried another shoe (not sure of the maker) but it didn't feel right either.

Then the sales girl brought out my glass slipper. The Nike LunarRacer. We all know I have a healthy obsession with Kara Goucher (Kara, I swear I'm not a stalker!) and this is the shoe she races in. I slipped my foot in that light-as-a-feather shoe and it was love at first step! I ran up the street with them and knew this was the new shoe for me.

And who can argue with the color.....they're so pretty! Now if only they could make me speedier :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, but they will make you faster! Trust me. They take a lot of weight off our feet.

Dad said...

Every princess looks pretty in pink! I guess you need to get some new tops to match your shoes--back to the store!

Runner Girl said...

I love the new Lunar Elite. I won some free swag from Nike for being runner up in their Believe in the Run contest last year. I submitted a photo story of why I believe in the run and it had a fairy tale theme :)

I've been trying to figure out the difference between the Lunar Elite, Fly, and the Racer. I swear that my Lunars make me run faster!