Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just call me coach

As you may remember, this summer I became a USATF Level 1 Track and Field Coach. I know you probably all thought "well that's great, but what is she ever going to do with that?" Yes, I thought the same thing, but then the wheels in my head started turning....how can I gain experience as a coach, not quit my day job, and find a way to give back to the running community that has given me so much?

I am excited to say that you are now reading the blog of the new Assistant Track and Field Coach at Regis College! (or for you Office fans, I'm the Assistant to the Head T&F coach...hehe) Its a small private college located in Weston, MA. I contacted the head coach and she was very excited about having me join the team one, because its a growing team and two because I was offering to do it as a volunteer so she doesn't have to pay me :) I'll be working with the 3 distance runners that are currently on the team (remember distance on a track is 800m - 2 miles....not quite my version of distance!).

I've been working with 2 of them for the past 2 weeks and I'm already seeing improvements in them. Its both of their first years with the team (one is a freshman and one is a junior but its her first year of Track). They need a lot of guidance and encouragement....not because they can't do what we are asking of them, but because they don't yet believe they can do it.

The schedule is working out that I am with them for 3 practices a week......their speed workout on Mondays, tempo run on Thursdays, and long run on Saturdays (which will turn into meets once December comes). Some days I run with them to push them and provide encouragement. Other days I stand on the side of the track with a stop watch and time their splits.

The head coach and I seem to get along really well and have similar philosophies on distance running. Plus she is willing to teach me things about the other events that I know little about. She backs me up with the girls which is helping me gain credibility with them and they seem to be trusting me. In just 2 short weeks, we've gone from "I can't do one more repeat" to "I don't want to do one more repeat but I know I can!"

Yes, its a pretty big time commitment with my real work and my own running, but I'm hoping its also fun and rewarding for both me and the team. Plus I just couldn't pass up the experience I would be getting!

Oh yeah....the cutest thing about it all.....as we finished up practice the other night they both turned and said to me "See ya Thursday Coach!" They called me coach :)

4 comments:

Maria said...

That is the coolest thing I've read in awhile - congratulations Coach Sarah!!!

Steph said...

I hope you make Brian call you Coach Sarah! Congratulations!

Tony said...

Very cool Sarah. It's great being a coach. Wait for December when you go to cheer them on for the meets. It's stressful and exciting at the same time.

Janette said...

So proud of you! Just think... three years ago you and I were starting training out for our first marathon. Look at you now! Congratulations!