Monday, November 16, 2009

Lovin' the 2 week taper!

With less than a week until race day, usually I am a mess.....an anxious, nervous, freaked out mess! But not this time (well, not yet at least)... so what's different? Enter the 2 week taper!

In the past I have done a 3 week taper.....last 20 miler 3 weeks before race day and then 3 weeks of decreased mileage. What that's gotten me is a lot of time to think about what I coulda/woulda/shouda done during training. While this leaves you rested, I always felt a little too rested.

This training, I decided to try a 2 week taper. That meant my last long run (22 miles) was only 2 weeks before race day and now I have 2 weeks of decreased mileage. I won't know until race day if this was a smart racing decision, but I do know that mentally I like it! Its much easier to trust my training (common running advice) not having so much time to doubt it.

6 more days and then I get to test out my new taper plan.....

No comments: