Tuesday, May 8, 2007

5k First Place!!!

At the last minute I decided to run in a local 5k on Sunday. Bryan was out of town and it was nice outside! It was really small with only about 150 runners. I have actually never run a 5k before (shortest race before this was 4.2 miles) and I have been focusing so much on distance that I had no idea what to expect or how to pace myself. I loosely decided to shoot for a 7:30 min/mile.

The miles weren't marked so I relied on my Nike + iPod thing. A couple minutes into the race, I looked at my Nike + and it was saying that I was running 8:00min/mile. I felt like I was running faster than that and this got me discouraged so I didn't push as hard as I could have. To my surprise, I turned the corner and the finish line was about 1/4 mile away...that's when I realized my Nike + thing was way off (it said I only ran at total of 2.8 miles). I finished in 23:15 (7:30 min/mile)....not too bad considering I ran my first "long" run after the Boston Marathon of 10 miles on Saturday.

I looked up the scoring and realized that I won 1st place in my age group!! Granted there were only 9 other women in my group, but its still first place!!! I won a gift certificate for a free pair of Saucony sneakers.....unfortunately I wear Asisics :( There is something so fun about racing - pinning that number to your shirt changes the run......can't wait to race again!

1 comment:

Janette said...

Speedy!! Congratulations!!

Now I'm afraid to race you!