Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Come on Ladies......Running Skirts??


I am a girly girl....I'll be the first to admit it and I am not ashamed of it. I would never be seen in public in sweatpants unless going to or from the gym, I never leave my house without at least a little makeup on, and I blow dry my hair even if I am going to put it in a ponytail....yes, I am a girly girl.

What I don't get is the running skirt that I see women wearing. How long have women been fighting to be equals in the sport of running and in sports in general? I heard Joan Benoit-Samuelson, one of the pioneers of women's running (who also just turned 50), speak and she was telling a story about when she first started running. She said that she would stop running when cars would come by and pretend to be picking flowers because she didn't want to be known as a tomboy.
So come on ladies....we have fought for ages to gain equal rights. I vote to keep the skirts off the track and wear my shorts proudly. Now I have to run and fix my makeup :)

3 comments:

Janette said...

I hate to admit this, but... in the Run to Remember 1/2 Marathon, I was passed by 2 girls in running skirts. That was the worst part of that race!

Hillary said...

I don't think skirts make women any less equal as competitors. As a woman, it's about my choice...to compete, to run, to walk, to wear whatever I want.

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. We have fought long and hard for the right to be athletes, and to be comfortable as athletes. That said - it's about DARN TIME we have something that is so comfortable to run in as a skirt.

I think it's all in your frame of reference. Some of the skirt companies try to be girly. But not all.. check out this one - their skirts are the most comfortable piece of athletic apparel I've ever owned. www.skirtgoddess.com