Friday, October 23, 2009

Running Snobs....ugggg

My mother-in-law sent me this article today from the NY Times online titled Plodders Have a Place, but Is It in a Marathon? It debates whether so called 'plodders' or slower marathoners should be allowed to race. Are you kidding me with this?!?!

I couldn't believe that people would be so condescending about other runners! I think its ridiculous that other people feel the need to judge and put others down for being slower than them.....who do these people think they are saying that others aren't good enough to race?!?!? Personally, I don't feel like my accomplishments are any less important because someone behind me finishes 3 hours after me......and really, my accomplishments are only important to ME....let's face it, the rest of the world DOES NOT CARE!! Running snobs.....uggg :(

Rant over.....time to move on!

4 comments:

AprilB said...

I agree! I can't stand that attitude. Everyone starts somewhere and why discourage someone who is trying to improve themself?

Tony said...

I'm in that picture with the 4:32:00 finish time. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Unknown said...

I read the best comeback to this article, I forget who said it but it was an elite runner (who generally are NOT snobs about slower runners)... "If it weren't for the run-walkers, you (the snobs) wouldn't finish ahead of anyone." Love that!

Sarah said...

Deirdre - I totally agree! I remember there was an interview once with the winner of a marathon (forge who) and the guy that finished last....

Last place guy: "I can't believe you ran 26.2 miles in 2:20:xx!!"

First place guy: "I can't believe you are able to run for 5+ hours!!"

It was funny to see the elite running in awe of the slower guy :)