Sunday, October 25, 2009

Kicking it up while trying to keep the Gatorade down!

As I said, the BAA Half Marathon helped me to gauge where I am in my training. This week marked 5 weeks until the Philly Marathon.....that means 3 more weeks of hard training and a 2 week taper. My motivation to train has been so-so this time around but I am really kicking things up knowing that there is a light at the end of the training tunnel.

This week has been a good one for me as far as training goes. Here's how the week went:

Monday: Rest day....I usually put these later in the week, but I had a lunch meeting and a massage after work (aahhh....hurts so good!)
Tuesday: 10 mile intervals.....thought about cutting the # of repeats short, but really happy I didn't!
3.2 mile warm up
3 x 1200m (5:13, 5:18, 5:16) with 400m recoveries
3 x 800m (3:27, 3:28, 3:28) with 400m recoveries
1.7 mile cool down
Wednesday: 8.3 Goldilocks miles (not too slow...not too fast....just right!)
Thursday: 5.4 miles over lunch with a coworker. I wanted to take it nice and easy but we got talking and averaged 8:39 min/miles on a fairly hilly route. Legs were tired!
Friday: 10.8 miles on the Newton Hills at an easy peasy pace
Saturday: 4.15 naked miles :-0 Yes, I was wearing clothes.....just no watch, ipod, Garmin....technology naked!
Sunday: 18 miles with 7 at around marathon pace (7:57-8:10). I was planning for 10 at MP, but was really windy when I started heading back west from in town and I just didn't have it in me. Plus my fuel belt was digging into my right hip...ouch!

Overall I had 56.7 miles for the week...not too shabby for 5 weeks pre-marathon! While my legs are feeling good, I've been having these pukey feelings during ad after some of my runs. Its not the normal "runner GI distress" but more of a "if I don't stop running soon, I might just throw up this Gatorade all over Heartbreak Hill!" I think its coming from this head cold I've been fighting for a couple weeks.....whenever I run (especially if its cold out) my sinuses have been draining into my stomach creating a not so pleasant feeling :( Luckily the Gatorade has stayed down (with a few close calls!) but the pukey feeling lingers for a while post-run.....blah!

Hopefully the cold will clear up soon, my legs will continue to feel good, and the next two weeks of training go as well as this one did!

1 comment:

Carmelle said...

Woo, go Sarah! Reading your blog is somehow more fun than studying right now :) Hope all is going well!!