Sunday, October 18, 2009

B.A.A. Half Marathon Race Report

Last Sunday, Bryan and I ran the B.A.A. Half Marathon in Boston. Yes, you read that right.....Bryan ran it too!! He has run one other half marathon in 2006 so I was really excited this summer when he told me he wanted to run another. Coach Sarah put him on a personalized training plan that he followed (almost) to a T. We knew that he would get a PR in this race as his only other half marathon was run in 2:08:xx. The only question was 'how much would he beat that time?'

The weather for the race was perfect....about 40 degrees at start, no wind, and sunny. I was hoping to run around 7:45 pace and Bryan decided to run with me. The course was very pretty...starting in the Fens (by Fenway Park), weaving through the Emerald Necklace (a string of parks and ponds through the city), going through Franklin Park and the zoo, and back to the Fens. The course was largely rolling with ~4 significant hills.....a little more hilly for my liking.
I'll spare you all the mile splits but we ranged from 7:35-8:04 (hill) pace for the race. We ran the entire race together (although with the hills we didn't do much talking!) and finished in 1:42:54 (average pace = 7:51)....a 2:30PR for me and a 26 minute PR for Bryan!!! Although it was a little slower than I wanted, I am happy with how my race went and it showed me what I need to work on in the next couple weeks before Philly. I am so excited for Bryan as he ran an awesome race and has a great PR to show for it!!

Here's a few pictures from the race:
Bryan reminded me to smile for the cameras :)


Working hard....no energy for smiles!

Happy about our PRs!


Looks like Bryan has caught the running bug....he's also signed up to run the Philly Half Marathon. Guess I'll have to get over the fact that his half PR will soon be faster than mine ;)

1 comment:

Maria said...

WOOOHOOOO! I didn't realize you two ran together the whole time, what fun! Congrats to both of you on excellent performances and nice new PRs!