Wednesday, March 26, 2008

When Geese Attack!

Last night was my first track workout of my training schedule. I was a little anxious about it because I think the couple track workouts I got in last fall contributed to my calf issues. I decided to drive over to Brookline and run at a public track there. My schedule had 8 miles total with 5 x 600m repeats. Well I am slightly Type A and don't like 600m repeats....I don't like running 1.5 times around a track! I much prefer running in intervals that will get me around the entire track (400m, 800m, even 1600m!) so I changed the workout to 5 x 800m repeats.

I started out with a 3.25 mile warm up around Jamaica Pond. I have never been over there to run and it was really pretty...a nice change of scenery. But I learned a valuable lesson....don't get too close to Canadian Geese when they are nesting! Those things are nasty...they would chase me off the path, hiss at me, and go absolutely crazy if a dog came anywhere near them!!

I was happy when my warm up was over and made my way back to the track....all I had to worry about there was dodging lacrosse balls that were thrown astray during team practices. My 800m repeats went well...they are supposed to be run around 5k race pace but I haven't run a 5k in a year so I don't really know what my current pace is. I did them in 3:26, 3:30, 3:29, 3:35, and 3:32 which ranges from a 6:41 - 7:05 min/mile pace. I followed each repeat with a 400m recovery jog and ended with 1.25 miles for a cool down.

Overall I felt good. I like track workouts because they are quick rather than long and drawn out like a tempo run. You know you will only be uncomfortable for a couple minutes and then you get a break. I am looking forward to doing more track workouts this training since I cut them out last fall after my calf injury. Next time I will be prepared for those darn geese!!

No comments: