Sunday, August 26, 2007

Not to rub it in, but.....

Thursday night Bryan and I ran in the 4th race of the "Have fun, Run, and Be Fit" summer series. Its a 4.2 mile race around the river followed by a BBQ and party. I was scheduled to run 12 miles with 7 at tempo pace that day so I went down to the river early to get some miles in before the race. Unfortunately, the traffic was not cooperating with me and I by the time I got there I only had about 45 minutes before the race. So I settled for a 4.5 mile run with 1.5 miles at my lactate threshold pace.

I met up with Bryan and we lined up with ~900 other runners. Its a really slow start which is always a little frustrating, but I kept reminding myself that this was a Tempo run for marathon training. Overall I was feeling pretty good so with about 1 mile to go, I picked up my pace a bit. I missed a PR by about 30 seconds, but I was happy with the run given my pre-race miles. My gun time was 32:15 (7:40 pace).

Now if you remember back to an earlier blog entry I said one of my summer goals was to beat Bryan in one of these races......well - I DID!! He finished 35 seconds behind me :) As I gloat about my victory, he reminds me that he hadn't run in about two weeks (Do I hear the violin playing in the background?)

So we have set the last race in the series to be the showdown.....no excuses.....no pre-run miles.....winner takes all! Bryan better get training because I won't be holding anything back :)

No comments: