Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Days like yesterday make me smile

Tuesday I had a 14 mile medium-long run scheduled (the longest mid-week run I have done) so of course the weather was forecasting 90 degrees with high humidity. I contemplated moving the run to Wednesday, but the forecast looked equally as brutal. Unfortunately 14 miles is too much for me to fit in the morning without getting up at 4am so I was forced to run after work.

I have this little desktop weather thing on my work computer that tells you the temperature outside. All day I kept my eye on it waiting for it to jump up into the upper 80's. To my surprise it never did!! I guess the front shifted or stalled or something because by 5pm for my run it was a comfortable (but still humid) 75 degrees.....I couldn't have been more excited! Its always nice when you go into a run thinking it's going to be miserable and it turns out much better than expected.

My 14 miles felt great. I averaged ~9:00 min/mile for the first 7 miles then picked it up to ~8:40 min/mile for the next 5 and 8:20 min/mile for the last 2 (average pace for 14 miles was 8:44). Overall, I was very pleased with the run and actually had to hold myself back some early on.....I know I shouldn't push too hard since I did 20 miles only 3 days before this and I have a marathon pace run this weekend.

No comments: