Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A lot of catching up to do!

So I realized that its been a long time since I last wrote! Life has been getting in the way, but my training is still going well. Here's an update as to how my runs the past two weeks have been.....

Saturday, 8/10: My first "Marathon Specific Training Run." Most long runs are significantly slower than planned marathon pace (primarily to prevent injury), but there are two long runs in my training that the majority of the miles are run at race pace. For this one, I warmed up for 2 miles at an easy pace, then ran 12 miles trying to stay around an 8:20-8:30 min/mile pace, followed by a mile cool down. I was in Philly at my parent's house for the weekend so I ran on a trail that was nice and shady. Luckily the weather was on the cooler side for August so I didn't have to battle the heat. The race pace miles felt good once I settled into them.....a few of the miles in the middle were a little too fast hitting 8:08 and 8:09 min/mile...oopps! Overall I was really happy with the run :)

On Sunday my Dad's side of the family got together for my Grandpa's 90th birthday party!! It was great to see everyone (all 30 something of us!) and my Grandpa seemed to enjoy his day.

Last week was a step-back week. Although I am feeling pretty good with all the miles, I have been dealing with some shin splints over the last week. Nothing too bad, but I didn't want them getting worse. I decided to take the recovery week really easy.....I cut out a couple runs and went bike riding/spin class to crosstrain. I also iced, foam rolled, and rested my shins as much as possible. My fear was that if I kept running on them they would get worse. It's really just the first couple steps that they are tight and then they usually don't bother me. I just can't stop running once I get started or they ache a little....it makes running through intersections a little tricky :)

Saturday 8/18: Happy Birthday to me!! I did my 14 mile long run on Friday so I wouldn't have to get up early on my birthday. Bryan surprised me with a new bike and I was excited to get out there an try it out. We rode down to the river and around for a while until........I took a curb a little too ambitiously and fell :( I hit my left elbow and took a nice chunk out of it. Poor Bryan felt so bad! But I was fine and I learned my lesson....stay away from the curb at the Mass Pike Bridge!!!!! We finished my birthday with dinner with friends.....all in all not a bad way to spend my first day at 27 :)

So this week I am back into the training. I have to switch my schedule up a little because I have a 4.2 mile race with Bryan on Thursday that I plan to incorporate into my tempo run. The weather has actually been much cooler the past few days.....I even saw my breath when I was out for my run early this morning! Of course its supposed to warm back up to the high 80's and low 90's just in time for my next 20 mile run this weekend.....just my luck!

Weekly Totals:
8/5 - 8/11: 47.1 miles
8/12 - 8/18: 26.1 miles (recovery week)

No comments: