Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Inspiration From The Ultramarathon Man



I just finished reading a really inspiring and amazing book called "The Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes. This man is truly a remarkable (some would call him insane!) endurance runner and has completed many of the hardest races in the world including 130 mile run through Death Valley in the summer, the first ever South Pole Marathon, and 200+ miles of continuous running. He has gained popularity over the last year by running 50 in 50 in 50......50 marathons in all 50 states in 50 days -- yes, he ran a marathon a day for 50 days and flew all over the US!!

Anyway I wanted to share an excerpt from his book when he talks about why he does what he does. I think it sums up what a lot of runners feel and is a great answer to this question of why???


"I run to see how far I can go. I run because it's my way of giving back to the world by doing the one thing I do best.

I run because if I didn't, I'd be sluggish and glum and spend too much time on the couch. I run to breath the fresh air. I run to explore. I run to escape the ordinary.

I run to unite my family. I run because it keeps me humble. I run for the finish line and to savor the trip along the way. I run to help those who can't. I run because walking takes too long, and I'd like to get a few things done in this lifetime.

I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go."

2 comments:

Janette said...

That is an awesome exerpt! Thanks for the motivation!

Steph said...

Sarah,

Took me forever to find this-what a great narrative of this crazy experience! I won't be at team runs for 3 weeks-running solo is horrible! Say hi to Janette-I didn't want you guys to think I had quit! I'm actually nursing a very pissed off nerve right now so can't do any hills-I'll think of you when I run my FLAT 10.5 miles.

Steph H-B