Saturday, January 6, 2007

Where the Heck is Winter??

When I decided to run Boston, I was most worried about training through the subzero temperatures in feet of snow that New England winters are known for. I never expected to be running in shorts on January 6th....and to be hot!!! Yes, it was 65 degrees this morning when I went out for our team run. Call it el nino, global warming, or whatever.....I don't like it one bit! So many people have commented to me about how great the weather is for running -- I'll tell you what, I'd rather have 25 degrees than 65 degrees! First reason -- I have so many new cold weather running clothes that I haven't gotten to wear yet (hey.....running clothes are part of fashion!!) Second reason -- its just plain hard to run when its hot and sticky!!!

Today we were running 10.5 miles. We took the T out to Newton and ran back into Boston along the marathon route. I got to run the infamous "Hills of Newton" including the big one....Heartbreak Hill. I was pleasantly surprised that Heartbreak Hill wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'm sure it will seem worse after running the first 20 miles of the course, but I have plenty of time to worry about that! Actually, it was the first of the 3 Comm. Ave hills that threw me for a loop. I guess it just caught me by surprise because wasn't expecting it so quickly. The heat and hills definitely made the whole run feel a lot longer than 10 miles. I just kept trying to imagine Marathon Monday with all the people lining the streets and cheering the runners on.

I made it through and back up Beacon Hill (way worse than Heartbreak Hill if you ask me)! Was it a great run.....definitely not, but I made it and that's all that really matters. Next week is another team run and I'll be back out for another 12 miler. Sorry to disappoint you all, but I am hoping that winter shows up in time!!!