Sunday, January 28, 2007

Up to 14.5 miles and feeling good!

Yesterday my team ran 14.5 miles for training. This is the longest I have ever run in my life....ever!!! And it actually felt really good! When we left Beacon Hill, it was about 16 degrees out but at least there wasn't much wind. We ran out Beacon St. and up behind Boston College to Newton Center where we cut over to Comm Ave. and ran back along the marathon course. I summited Heartbreak Hill for the 3rd time in my training and it seems to be getting a little easier (as is Beacon Hill at the end) so I think the hill repeats are really working. It was pretty cold during the run -- my GU packet was almost frozen from being in my pocket and the Gatorade at the last water stop was more like a frozen slushy -- but after about a mile or two I was warmed up and felt comfortable. Although I was happy to be finished, I felt like I could have continued running so I think that's a really good sign. After a nice hot shower to warm me up (I actually had ice formed in my ponytail during the run!) I spent the day just relaxing and then went out to dinner with Bryan (yummy Mexican and margaritas!!)

Its a cool feeling to know that every other week from now until the marathon I will be setting a new distance PR (personal record).....I will be running the longest I have ever run in my life every other week! Obviously 26.2 miles is the ultimate goal, but its really motivating and awesome to have these mini-goals and to set PRs every other week during my training.

This morning I am feeling good......a little stiff but overall I feel great. I can't even imagine what its going to feel like after running 20 miles, but I'm excited to find out! Its one of those good kind of sore feelings. It was nice to finally sleep in this morning and to just relax this weekend. I am going to go for a 3.5 mile recovery run this afternoon with Bryan. I usually don't like to run the day after a long run but its just so nice outside today (sunny and 35 degrees) plus I haven't gotten to run with Bryan in a while so I am looking forward to it. Next week is a stepback week and I'll be back out for another trip up Heartbreak Hill....looking forward to it!

No comments: