Tuesday, January 16, 2007

3 Months and Counting.....

Its 1:30pm on Tuesday, January 16th and I just got back from my lunchtime run. Today was hill repeat day and as I was running up Beacon Hill for the 4th time, I realized something -- at this exact time 3 months from now I will be running the Boston Marathon!!!!! Hopefully on that day at 1:30pm I will be coming through Newton and heading towards Heartbreak Hill. I used this exciting and scary thought as motivation to push even faster and harder up the hill.

Three months is an odd amount of time -- its not really all that long, but its still a ways away. When you think of it in terms of marathon training, it seems a lot shorter. My last long run will be on March 24th (a 21 miler...aahhh!) and then I will taper my running for the next three weeks until the marathon. Thinking about it that way, there's really only 2 months of real training left.......wow!!! I know at times its going to go by so fast (the last few months sure have) and at times it will seem like April 16th is years away. It sometimes feels so surreal that I am going to be running the Boston Marathon!!!

So in three months and about 6 hours from now I hope to be sitting on my couch with a cold beer in one hand, probably an icepack in the other, and my Boston Marathon medal around my neck!!!

No comments: