Monday, February 5, 2007

I think winter is here!!

I know, I know.....you get what you ask for, right?? I asked for winter -- I asked for the cold weather, the snow, all of it. Well, its here and I am still running through it! On Saturday, our team met at Fitcorp for a 10.5 mile run from Woodland T stop in Newton back into Beacon Hill. Shouldn't be too hard considering I did 14.5 miles last weekend. Unfortunately, there was about 2" of ice and snow that was frozen to the sidewalks and some of the roads. This made what should have been an easy, step-back week of running into a slippery, icy, salty mess. We maneuvered our way through the ice and up the hills of Newton without too many problems. Of course it was at the first water stop that I stepped on some ice and almost fell!!! Luckily I caught myself, but I never would have lived that one down -- injured at a water stop, not while actually running!

As Janette and I headed back up Beacon Hill, we pushed past some other runners and finished our run strong. Back inside the gym, one of the guys on our team said to us "man.....you two were really booking it up that hill! I was trying hard just to keep up with you!" Little comments like that make me feel good about myself. Plus we averaged an 8:58 min/mile pace which is the fastest we've done on a long run....not bad at all considering the icy roads!!!

Today was another story. The temperatures were in the single digits with wind chills never getting above zero. I brought my running clothes to work with me like I do everyday with the plan to do a hill repeat workout. Well, after almost everyone at work told me I was crazy for even considering running in such conditions, I conceded and took my run indoors on the dreadmill....I mean treadmill. It was probably a good idea as I only saw one person along the river running when I drove home. Tomorrow its supposed to be a little warmer and not as windy (wind chills are going to be above zero!!) so I will do my hills then.

I know I asked for it and to tell you the truth, I'm still glad I did!!

No comments: