Monday, February 19, 2007

My 1st Running Injury

Unfortunately, I suffered my first running injury this Saturday. No, its not a pulled hamstring or a tight IT band.....its my chin! How does one injure their chin when running?? Believe me....its possible!

I set out early for a 10 mile run by myself since Bryan and I were heading to my in-laws later that morning to go skiing and enjoy the snow we got last week. Most of the road was plowed and I was feeling good after about 6 miles. I took it nice and easy over the non-shoveled sections and picked up the pace when the conditions were good. Well, I must have misjudged a small patch of ice because all of a sudden I lost my balance. Trying to catch myself, I tripped over a lip in the sidewalk which sent me falling forward.....face first :( As I skidded to a stop on my belly, 2 men stopped to make sure I was okay. We surveyed the damage.....a ripped glove, dirty running tights, and a bumped chin. I could feel that I hit my chin pretty hard, but not being able to see it, I couldn't really tell.

I picked myself up and continued on. Tears were filling my eyes....not because I was hurt, but my confidence was shaken. How was I supposed to make it up these hills after a fall like that? Then I realized that crying wasn't going to make it easier.....running up hill is hard enough on my lungs, but doing it while crying would be even harder. I sucked it up and finished the run strong.

Over the next 24 hours, the bruise on my chin kept getting bigger and darker shades of purple. Honestly....the picture does not do it justice!! I'm sure I will be a little timid and scared the next time I run outside in these conditions, but I need to look back on this "injury" and draw strength from it. Knowing that I finished this run even as my bruised chin continued to swell and my confidence started falling will help me get through other tough runs.

I can only hope that this is the only injury I have during training.....for now there is nothing more to do except show off my battle scar!

No comments: