Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"The Dark Side"

During my training, I have noticed that there is a huge difference between what I'll call normal runners and marathon runners. The normal runner logs a couple miles a day 3-4 times a week and is running mainly for weight loss and cardiovascular fitness. The mind of the marathon runner is completely different. Making the transition doesn't come quickly or easily, but once you get there -- there's no turning back!

Signs I have crossed over to The Dark Side....

  1. I regularly use the phrase "only 10 miles"
  2. I consider temperatures above 35 degrees to be warm and anything over 50 degrees to be HOT
  3. I get jealous seeing other people running when its my rest day
  4. I voluntarily sat in an ice bath after a run, but have yet to really swim in the New England waters over the summer because its too cold
  5. I actually think vanilla Gu tastes like cake frosting, if not better
  6. I know exactly what socks, sports bra, and underwear I like the best and won't do a long run in anything else
  7. I haven't bought new work clothes in a while because I prefer shopping for running clothes
  8. I am already planning my next marathon when I haven't even finished my first!

Feel free to add your own!

3 comments:

M.W.Q said...

Dark side?I beg to differ, as a former marathon runner. When I felt those same feelings you so accurately describe I knew I had left the dark tunnel behind and into the Great LIGHT!Your in the LIGHT Girl!You just wait till you cross that finish line,I'll bet tears will be streaming down across that bruised chin of yours."Priceless" feeling as you stated.3 pair on only 420 mi.????

Janette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janette said...

The last work clothing item I bought was in November. It was a sweater. Before that I have no idea. I would much rather buy running clothes!

Normal runners annoy me when I see them out on a nice day. Where were they a month ago in the ultra cold?

I take time during work hours to map new routes. But only after the work is done. ;)

I think about running just as much as a man thinks about sex (what's that every 7 seconds?)! :)