Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 15, 2010

Dear Nolan,

One year and 3 days ago, you had been growing in mommy's belly for about 11 weeks.  Only a few people knew about you, but Mommy and Daddy were so excited to begin to tell people about you soon.  We were especially excited to tell your great grandparents because they had been waiting (and asking!) when we would have a baby for quite some time.

One year and three days ago all that changed.  This is the day that mommy found out that your Great Grandma P (GGP) had a stroke and was in the hospital.  We prayed that she would get better but one year ago today God decided it was time for her to come be with him.  Although Mommy never did get to tell GGP about you, Grandpa was able to sit down with her before she died and told her that you were coming.  We all think that she understood him and fought a little harder to get better so that she'd get a chance to meet you.

I'm writing this to you today so that you can get to know your GGP and your Great Grandpa P through stories about them.  Your GGPs were so loving and special to your mommy and the rest of your family.  You would have been their first great grandson and they would have been so proud of you.  You would have been part of the new big-four and they would have taken you on surprise trips to the Please Touch Museum and The Franklin Institute after camping in the dining room.  They would have made you pancakes on Saturday mornings and given you quarters to put in the offering plate on Sunday mornings.  They would have made sure the jar on the coffee table was always filled with peanut M&Ms and both GGP and mommy would teach you the proper order to eat those M&Ms (I learned later in life that your GGP and I shared a need to put our candy in order...I wonder if you inherited that bizarre trait from us?).  But most of all, they would have loved you more than any GGPs could ever love their grandson.  I have no doubt that GGP had a big smile on the inside when your grandpa told her about you and that her and Great Grandpa P smile down from heaven every day at you.

I will do my best to tell you lots of stories about them over the years so that you can get to know what wonderful people they were.  For now, I'll continue to sing Teddy Bear's Picnic to you every night while we get ready for bed and think of your GGP each and every time.

Love you,
Mommy


*On a side note, I need to stop taking trips to states that I will move to in the future!  My grandpa died while I was in Utah and we moved there two years later.  My grandma died while we were in Oregon for Bryan's job interview.  No more moving...I only have two grandparents left :)
 

2 comments:

Tim said...

So sweet, Sarah. I wondered how I would remember Mom's life today, and you've put a smile on my face, a lump in my throat, and tears in my eyes. Thanks!! Give Nolan an extra hug tonight when you sing to him.

Carol R, said...

So lovely. Your grandma was a very special lady; it was an honor to know her. Keep the traditions -- and the blog posts -- going. They will be a lasting treasure for your precious son.
Carol