Monday, November 7, 2011

Bipolar Parenting

The past week has taught me one thing...having a baby makes you biopolar!  I didn't think it was possible to feel so high one moment and not even 5 minutes later to feel so low.  Let me back up and explain...

Since getting back from my uncle's wedding in Phoenix last weekend, I've been really working on Nolan's naps.  He's gotten pretty good at putting himself to sleep at night without any sleep associations (pacifier, rocking, the boob) but naps have been more difficult.  I had this whole little shuffle that included the pacifier, lots of bouncing, patting, and gently trying to put him in his crib only to have him wake up 30 minutes on the dot later.  This wasn't terrible except for two things:  1) Nolan's getting heavy and my back was killing me and 2) I was the only one that could put him down because no one else could do this shuffle.  The other option which produced longer naps was to hold him the entire time...great for catching up on my DVR, but not so great for getting things done, like showering!

So I decided he needed to learn to put himself to sleep for naps too.  Here's where the bipolar part comes in.  The first two days, things went pretty well.  We had about 10-15 minutes of fussing at each nap time and then he'd fall asleep.  We got a couple 40-45 minutes naps too!  I was starting to feel pretty good about things.  The second two days went even better.  Less than 10 minutes of crying and then a 2 hour nap!!  We did have one skipped nap because he wouldn't go down, but let's just say I was dancing around the house thinking we had finally turned a nap corner.

And then the weekend hit...not only were the two hour naps gone but ALL naps were gone.  On Sunday morning he went 6 hours without sleeping at all.  We'd put him down like normal and he would fuss and cry for 30-60 minutes.  He was so obviously overtired but just would. not. sleep.  He cried, I cried...the high I was feeling the previous two days was gone.  Long gone.

Now its Monday morning.  He's gone down for two naps so far today with less than 5 minutes of fussing.  The second nap is currently at 1 hour and 15 minutes and still going!  Seriously kid?  What's is up with you???  Either way, I want week day napping Nolan to stick around!

Hopefully this weekend was an isolated event.  A slight regression in the nap training process maybe?  Also, Nolan has also been obsessed with his daddy lately.  He smiles whenever he sees Bryan and will follow him with his eyes all over the room.  It seriously melts my heart...just not at nap time.  We are wondering if he knew that daddy was home over the weekend and didn't want to waste time sleeping. Or maybe its the phase of the moon!

Whatever it is, I'm not going to spend too much time trying to figure it out because it will just drive me crazy.  I'm already bipolar so I don't need any more crazy in me!

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Even with all the ups and downs of trying to get Nolan to take a good nap, your love and adoration of that little guy always shines through in all your blog posts! Sweet! Hope you both have a good week, with some good, long naps for Nolan!

Lee said...

I agree with Maureen - Your love will pull you through the struggle and years from now you'll look back and smile. You're a GREAT mom!! Hope you have a good week.

Suzanne said...

Wow, what you are going through is the exact thing I'm going through too. There are days when Isabella naps really well, and life is great and then there are the days when she won't nap all day and I want to pull my hair out. I feel your pain.