Friday, November 11, 2011

The Little Things

You know how there are certain things in life that are fairly trivial to most people but for some reason just make you happy.  The little things that go unnoticed by most but put a smile on your face.  I have three of these things that I want to share with you.

First is opening a fresh can of whole coffee beans.  Something about peeling back the lid and allowing the smell of the beans to escape for the first time.  The shiny coffee beans just waiting to be brewed.  No matter how early in the morning it is or how rough my night was, I get surprisingly happy if I get to open a new can.

Second is the sound of leaves crunching under my feet while I run.  This is why I love running this time of year because there are thousands of leaves to crunch.  I play a little game with the leaves where I pick one that looks extra crunchy in front of me and I'll alter my stride just so I can crunch down on top of it.

Third is the first day I get to use a new compact of face powder or tube of mascara.  I'm not sure what it is about this act, but I think its the clean new brush or wand that I get to take the first perfect swipe in the powder or tube.  Maybe I just watch too many Cover Girl commercials but this always makes me happy and sometimes I buy new makeup even when the old one isn't fully finished yet. (Don't tell Bryan!)

Now that I have a child, there are many other little things I'm learning to cherish.  But I'm also having fun sharing my little things with Nolan.  Although I don't think he will ever be excited by mascara, I have shared the other two with him.  Now I know he's too young to drink the coffee, but I want him to experience that new can feeling with me.  He probably doesn't appreciate it the way I do, but I like exposing him to the smell of the beans and the smile it puts on my face.

We can also crunch leaves together while on our runs.  Instead of using my feet, we target an extra crunchy leaf and crunch it with the tires of the running stroller.  The best is when there is a whole pile of leaves on the path and we crunch right through them all!  This makes both of us smile.



While developmental milestones and other big firsts that Nolan experiences are important and fun, I'm finding that sharing the little things in life with my little guy are just as amazing.  I look forward to the day when Nolan discovers his little things and hopefully shares them with me.

3 comments:

Lee said...

I love how you appreciate the little things in life. It reminds me to do the same. Looks like Nolan is enjoying the crunching leaves so you've taught him well.
I hope he doesn't turn out to be a tea person instead of coffee :-)

Maureen said...

Your blog post reminded me of a fall walk I took with Bryan. He was about 2 and also loved the sounds of leaves crunching……so during our walk, I pushed the stroller right through piles of leaves people had raked to be picked up by the city. Unbeknownst to me, Bryan lost one of his sneakers, which I noticed when we got home! It was close to 5 p.m. and starting to get dark, but we re-traced our route and luckily found that sneaker in a leaf pile! Each fall when I walk those same streets and see the piles of leaves, I always remember where we found that little sneaker! You are making so many memories with Nolan that not only show your love and teach him new things, but also sweet times you will remember and cherish your whole life!

Tim said...

I've always like the smell of coffee, even as a kid. When do you think Nolan will be old enough to have his first sip? [Definately not while he is having sleep issues]