Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy V-Day Little Guy!

Sorry for my lack of blogging over the past 3 weeks!  We've had lots of visitors plus both Bryan and I have been dealing with nasty colds that left me 100% exhausted by the end of the work day.  Also, Bryan's been working on some papers so the computer has been monopolized during the evenings.  Oh well....I'm back now :)

This weekend Bryan and I celebrated V-Day with our little guy.  No, I don't mean Valentine's Day although that was also this past weekend.  I'm talking about Viability Day!!  On Saturday our little guy turned 24 weeks in the womb and while this isn't a typical milestone (a new trimester, the half way point, etc) it is a big deal medically.  With the amazing advancements in medicine and NICU support that hospitals have these days, a baby born at 24 weeks has a 50% chance of survival.  While 50% doesn't seem great, its a heck of a lot better than if the baby was born earlier than that.  And what's even better is that each week after 24 weeks, his chances of survival keep increasing!  Yes, there would be many obstacles and health issues for a baby born this early and I would never want our baby or anyone else's for that matter to be born so early.  I pray that he stays put until at least 38 weeks (yes, I not so secretly want him to come a little early!) but it's a huge relief knowing that if something were to happen, our baby would have a fighting chance of surviving.

So happy V-Day little guy!!  And if you all are wondering what Bryan and I did to celebrate....well, do you even have to ask???

1 comment:

Tim said...

24 weeks down, 14+ weeks to go, and you still look great in your ski outfit!