Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

One word to sum up this past weekend's runs would be wet! Friday it rained during my 10 miler, Saturday it rained during my 6 mile recovery run, and last but not least.....Sunday it rained for my long run....my final 20 miler of this training schedule! Let's just say I have gotten really good at dodging puddles and my Boston Marathon jacket from last year has gotten a lot of use!

The last two weeks have gone well. The mileage is starting to wear on me and I am mentally tired. I have been doing all my runs and hitting all my paces, but its more of a struggle to get out the door every day to run. I think this is pretty normal.......after strictly following a training plan for 15 weeks, your mind starts to get a little tired! I really wanted my last long run to go well as a confidence booster going into taper. I waited to run until about 10:30am on Sunday because it was pouring earlier. The first couple miles felt comfortable and my legs didn't feel as heavy as they have recently. I felt really good going up the hills on Comm Ave and was able to pick up my pace to hit the last couple miles at goal marathon pace. I ran the first 10 miles at an average pace of 9:05 and finished with an overall average pace of 8:54.....not too bad! It was just the run I needed to feel strong and confident for Vermont City.

And now I am embracing my taper with open arms!! I'll cut my mileage back from 55-60MPW to 43 miles this week and then 32 the next week. In my past two marathon trainings, I dreaded taper.....it often comes with anxiety, restlessness, and hypochondria. This time, I welcome it because I know I have put my time in and my body needs the rest to get me at my best for the marathon in 3 weeks.

Total weekly miles = 58.15

1 comment:

Steph said...

We'll get in some good cross training while dancing at Ozomatli! Counting the days....