Saturday, May 24, 2008

Here we go again!

It seems like just yesterday that I was blogging about the Boston and Hartford Marathons. Last night I spent some time reading back over some of my old blog posts. A sense of pride came over me as I realized for the first time just how far I have come.

Approximately 2 years ago, I remember being in the gym the night of the Boston Marathon '06. I wasn't able to watch the race that year because I had to work so I was watching the news coverage while I ran on the treadmill. I remember watching Rick and Dick Hoyt and all the 20,000+ runners and thinking how cool it would be to do that....but never thinking I could. For the first time that night, I ran 3 miles without stopping to walk at a 6.0 mph (10:00 min/mile)....I remember being excited about this. Flash forward two years.....I have run two full marathons and flirting with qualifying for Boston in my third!! A 10:00min/mile is at or slower than my recovery runs now. All this in just two years!! I know I have been putting a lot of pressure on myself to run the coveted BQ, but looking back there is so much more to focus on.

So many people ask me how I do it and tell me they could never do something like this. I don't believe that.....if I can do anyone can do it!! Actually running a marathon isn't the hard part....its putting in the time and training that's hard. Anyone can motivate to run when thousands of people are cheering for you, volunteers giving you water, and other runners to keep you company. The hard part is motivating to run day in and day out....mile after mile with no immediate rewards. It's in the training that you learn what your body and mind are capable of accomplishing.

So here we are again less than 24 hours from race time. The race starts at 8:05am so at this point tomorrow I hope to be around the 8 mile mark. As you've probably read, my "A" goal is to qualify for Boston...Mission 3:40! My "B" goal is 3:50 which would still be a 7 minute PR from my last marathon. I know the 3:40 BQ will be a push, especially with the warm and sunny temperatures but I have to go for it. Bryan said to me last night when I was freaking out about the pace, "would you rather pace conservatively the whole way and run a 3:45 but have gas left in your tank at the end or would you rather pace for the 3:40, give it all you've got, and end up running a 3:45?" He's right....if I don't go for it, I am always going to question whether or not I could have run the BQ. If I'm going to miss 3:40 then I'm going to do it by giving it my all!

We're heading up to VT soon so I have to finish packing. I'll be sure to post a full race report when we return. There is no online tracking for this marathon, but you can probably check the results online after the race at www.runvermont.org or www.coolrunning.com.

Here we go.......please keep me in your thoughts and prayers...I'm going to need it!!!

3 comments:

Janette said...

John, Paul and I were thinking about you during the half. It's noon now and I've checked the Vermont City website and Cool Running 3 times already. I'm your results stalker!

dawna said...

Well...??? How did it go Sarah?! I don't even know your last name so can't check the race results BUT (even though I don't know your last name!) I was and am thinking of you and hoping for the best...either a PR, a BQ time and/or a really good story/lesson!

steph's friend, dawna :)

Sarah said...

Hi Dawna!! Thanks so much for your positive thoughts...I definitely needed them on race day! Looking forward to running Hartford with you....its a great race and a great course!!