Friday, May 23, 2008

Let the eating and drinking begin!

Today starts my carbo load and hydration......this morning I packed a bagel, pretzels, granola bar, banana, and ham sandwich to bring to work. Just looking at all that food is making me full!! I also keep refilling my water bottle every 2 hours....about the time between bathroom breaks :) Because the temps appear to be a little warm on Sunday, I have started drinking Gatorade today too (typically I'd wait until tomorrow for this). Figure I could use the extra salts....as if the carbs don't make me bloated enough!!

Last night I got my last massage and it felt great. She worked on my left shin and calf for a while which felt great. She went easy on the rest of me with the race so close....no bruises this time! I woke up this morning and was so excited to feel zero pain anywhere!!!!!! The mornings have been the worst since everything tightens up while I sleep, but today it felt great....I could actually walk with my normal stride right away.

So now I am getting really excited and pumped up for the race. I have decided not to let the warm weather predictions bother me.....nothing I can do about them so why worry, right? I have been listening to my favorite running songs and reading some of my favorite running quotes that I've accumulated. Two of my favorites:

"I would rather end this life crushed, drained, and barely held together by modern medicine than having gone through it too scared to ever find my own limitations"

"Maybe to people on the outside looking in, it seems as if it's just a race. It's no big deal. But it is a big deal....You've paid the price for nine months, or a year, or five years of training to get to the finish line. You want to see it to the conclusion. You want that medal, because you've earned it. Somebody on the outside looking in may think that's hokey. But it doesn't matter what they think. It's real. Whether this is life changing or not for you, it is for some people. That's a fact." --Dave McGillivray, Boston Marathon Race Director

We aren't heading up to VT until tomorrow morning so I'll probably pop back on here again tonight or maybe before we leave. For now I have to keep eating, drinking, and making myself look busy at work because I am too excited to actually get anything done!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I'll sympathy carbo load with you-bring on the pretzels!

I can't wait to hear the whole story! And remember, you did run a marathon in near hurricane conditions. What could be worst?

Don't forget your sunscreen-I still have the most horrible tan lines from Boston!