Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Going Green


Ever since I got my bike last August, I have wanted to ride to work. Unfortunately I work 20 miles away from my house so its not really practical. Plus I'm not allowed to ride on busy roads....remember the spill I took the day I got my bike??? I have a really ugly scar on my elbow that still looks pretty fresh and it happened over 9 months ago!

So if I can't ride all the way to work, I decided to ride part of the way. You see my company has an office about 4.5 miles from my house that runs a shuttle back and forth to my building....20 miles one way is not doable, but 4.5 miles I can handle!

Last week I tried this for the first time. I packed my work clothes in a backpack, put on workout clothes, and set off on my bike. It took me about 20 minutes to ride to our office....yes, I am a slow biker! I locked my bike up and jumped on the shuttle the rest of the way. It was a great way to start out the day....I got my heart pumping which woke me up and then I was able to relax on the shuttle without having to stress about driving or traffic. When I got to work I showered in our locker room and got ready for work. At the end of the day I did the reverse.....totaling about 9 miles of biking for the day.

This week is the Bay State Bike week (http://www.baystatebikeweek.org/) where bikers from MA are pledging to commute on bike over 50,000 miles this week in place of driving. I can't bike/shuttle every day, but I did today and plan to do it again Friday. That's about 18 miles of biking but 80 miles that I won't be driving in my car. I figured out that between gas and tolls I spend about $10 a day driving to work.....by biking 2x a week I am saving $20/week! That will add up....not to mention what it will do for the environment!

Way to decrease my carbon footprint!!

No comments: