Monday, November 26, 2007

What's a data dork to do?

Like many runners, I love my Garmin Forerunner GPS watch. It gives me more data than I know what to do with.....average pace, heart rate, distance traveled, maps, elevation profiles, and of course the time. It's truly a dream for this self proclaimed data dork!

As I set out for my run on Friday, I realized I forgot my precious Garmin...aahhh! I contemplated driving back home to get it....I mean how was I supposed to run without it?? Then I laughed at myself for asking such a question....I can run without it the same way that I run with it. Put one foot in front of the other, move your arms back and forth, and breath in and out....something I learned how to do 27 years ago!

So I set out on my run without it...no numbers (I didn't even have a watch on)! It felt nice to just run and not always look down at the constantly changing numbers. Yes, I know approximately how far I ran based on doing that loop in the past and I could probably guesstimate what my pace was, but not having the feedback was very liberating.

My point is sometimes we get so caught up in paces and distances that we forget about the sheer act of running......keep putting one foot in front of the other and that's all the data you really need!

No comments: