Monday, November 26, 2007

I officially hate the wind!

What's the one thing that can ruin a great run on a fall Sunday afternoon in 45 degree temps with clear skies? WIND!!!

Ok so ruin is a bit dramatic, but its amazing how much things change when the wind picks up. I went out for an 8 mile run on Sunday. The weather was perfect and I was feeling good so I decided to make it into a 10 mile run (my longest since Hartford). As soon as I crossed the turn around point for 8 miles, the wind decided to start blowing....no GUSTING!! I literally had to put my head down to run into it. The leaves were blowing everywhere and slicing my legs like little razors. I couldn't believe it.....my pace dropped from a comfortable 9:05ish minute/mile to almost a 10 minute/mile! And that 10min/mile was hard work with my heart rate being much too high for such a pace.

Whether it was the wind or the 10 miles, I was pretty tired by the end. It was a great first 4 miles.....the rest blew by me in a blur :)

4 comments:

Janette said...

I am so glad you said this! I was in shorts and a long sleeve top on Sunday. It was about 40-45 when I went running so I figured I'd be plenty warm, but the wind was brutal. I believe the weatherman called it "a bit of a breeze" - yeah, right... how about "artic hurricane chill"!!

Maria said...

Do you find that when it's windy out, it's windy out everywhere?!?!?! I mean like in every direction? That wind that follows me around seems to change direction just when I do. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! :-) However, I do find it amusing to think what passerbys think/see when I appear to be running in place a la Shaggy or someone else from Scooby Do (when being chased by the bad guys).

Steph said...

I've been overdressing-I look like Santa Claus when I head out. I forgot how quickly you warm up.

Nothing though can ever beat the wind of the New Bedford Half Marathon-I think one gust carried me for 1/4 of a mile!

Sarah said...

If you can believe it, this was actually worse than New Bedford!! It was following me around the river and got worse for the last half...lucky me! Odd thing was that when I got back to my house, it wasn't that windy....that darn Charles River is such a wind tunnel with all the buildings!