Friday, November 9, 2007

Shouldn't have, but I did...

As I said I have been easing back into running and feeling good. On Wednesday I went for a 4 mile run with a coworker on a dirt trail by the reservoir at work. It was nice to have a change of scenery and run in "nature"....we saw three deer cross in front of us!

So yesterday I went to the gym planning to do the elliptical and not run two days in a row. I got there and all the ellipticals that I like using were full so I decided I would run on the treadmill. Well I forgot how much I hate that thing....3/4 of a mile into my run I was bored almost to death!! There was no way I was going to make it a couple miles if I kept my pace steady so I decided to do some interval work. I know what you are thinking...."you are coming off an injury and still recovering from the marathon -- NO SPEED WORK!!" The rational side of my brain agreed with that, but the slightly ADD bored side chose the intervals.

I did 1.5 mile warm up followed by four 440m repeats at a 7:19 pace with a 440m recovery jog between each. I finished up with a mile jog to cool down. It felt so good to get my legs moving fast again!! Plus it made the time on the dreadmill go by a little faster. Luckily there was no leg pain and I feel good today.

Today is an off day and then I'll probably run some this weekend....but I promise to take it easy as long as I can run outside!

1 comment:

GB said...

I hear ya on the treadmill thing. I survive TM runs ONLY by varying the pace or incline. I can't just run the same pace on the TM without wanting to scream.

Glad you got to run FAST and that you've got no pain going on. :)