Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Worst. Weather. EVER.

Remember back in 2007 when I ran my first Boston Marathon? Remember the big Nor'easter that was predicted for race day? Remember the fears of a "storm of epic proportions!" Remember how it ended up not being that bad and we were all relieved? On Saturday Bryan and I ran through that exact storm just 3 years later and now I know why the Dave McGillivray almost cancelled the 112th Boston Marathon!

I don't have to tell any of you how bad the weather was this weekend as its been all over the news (um hello 8" of rain!) Hoping to get our run in before the worst of it (HA!), we headed out Saturday afternoon. Here's a play by play of the run:

Miles 1-4: Directly into the wind....25 mph sustained winds with 40 mph gusts. Not sure why I bothered wearing a jacket as it was soaked from the rain within a few miles. Sure this is going to be a tough run, but we'll be fine. (HA!)

Miles 5-12: Running with the wind. Okay, this isn't too bad. Rain is picking up but we're both feeling good and chatting to keep our minds off the weather. Hurdling and dodging puddles to keep the shoes as dry as possible (HA!)

Miles 12-19: Back into the head wind. Am I really moving forward? Rain is coming down hard. Shirt suctioned to my stomach because its so wet. Temperatures are dropping (38 degrees; real feel of 28 degrees). Must keep head down so hat doesn't fly off. Can't feel my fingers. No longer have the will to dodge the puddles and can hear squishing sounds with every step. Want to lay down just to make it stop.

Back at house: Can't move fingers to unlock door. Strip down to underwear and sports bra in kitchen. Clothes leave big puddle on the floor. Skin is bright red. Take temperature just to see. Me - 94.1 degrees; Bryan - 91.6 degrees. Holy Crap! Start shower. Hot water burns as body defrosts. Ouch, what's that on my neck? A blister? On my neck?



Seriously, it was the worst weather I have ever run in. EVER! I mean, we were clinically hypothermic when we got home. Yikes!! But as with everything, there is a silver lining. Both our legs felt really good during the run, we actually averaged a great pace of 8:39 min/mile (probably trying to stay warm and make it stop sooner!), and besides the blister we are no worse off.

I guarantee that when we line up in Hopkinton, we will remember this run and know that we can handle whatever is thrown at us.
This is how we earn it!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Our most recent blog posts could have been written by the same person, I had identical crap for 20 on Sat but sub your neck damage for my stomach chaffing... no idea how that happened!

Maria said...

I can't stop laughing!

Sarah said...

Seriously....its like we have RESP - Runner Extrasensory perception :)

Unknown said...

Wow, way to get out there in that craziness!

I've totally gotten chafed on the neck before--the seam on certain shirt collars can really do some damage in wet conditions. Blech. I hope this means weather will be good for race day. :)

Dad said...

OMG--I can't believe you guys had such low body temps--you need to talk to a doctor. Oh, right, you have a doctor in the house.

We're impressed at your dedication--and hope you don't have this kind of weather any more!!! We promise to do all we can to make sure the temps are in the 50's when you travel south to PA next weekend.