Sunday, April 6, 2008

Two Major Milestones!

This weekend I set two new records for my training. After my step-back week last weekend, I was ready to run long again on Saturday. It was around 45 degrees, cloudy, with a light rain for the first 4 miles.....pretty much ideal for running. My plan was to run 22 miles.....my longest training run ever!!! In the past I ran up to 20 miles in training, but I wanted to get in something a little longer this time.

I met up with John and ran the first 18 miles with him on the Boston Marathon course and the broke off and ran the extra 4 miles around the river. I wanted to keep the pace a little slower and focus more on time on my feet to train my body to run for over 3 hours. I ran the first 16 miles around a 9:05 - 9:10 pace then picked it up just a bit to 8:45-8:50. Overall I averaged 9:02 min/mile and ran 22.15 miles in 3 hours 19 minutes and 57 seconds! I felt really good during the entire run.....felt like I could have kept going at the end if I had to, but was happy to be done! The pace felt easy and conversational....just ask John because I think I was talking his ear off :) After we got over Heartbreak Hill he commented that I didn't even sound winded....trust me, I was! There were some rough patches so I tried to concentrate on my stride and remind myself why I am doing this....I thought about my grandpa and pushed harder for him, I thanked God for giving me the abilities that I have and pushed harder because I could, and I thought about myself and how far I've come from this time last year.

I didn't listen to music until the last 4 miles where I put on my new favorite song...When I close my eyes by Ozomatli. I was singing along and these are some of my favorite lyrics. "The power inside you, let it come and work it out. The strength within you will make the sadness disappear. Everyday I'm getting stronger I feel ten feet tall right now."

With this run, I set a second milestone for myself. I ran a total of 60 miles for the week....that's the highest I have ever run!! Before I maxed out at around 55 miles so getting into the next decade was exciting for me. Having these kind of goals and milestones help to keep me motivated during the training cycle. I remember when I thought running 25 miles in a week was a ton and here I am more than doubling that....and feeling good! Here's how it was broken down:

Monday: 6 mile recovery run
Tuesday: 12 mile with 7 miles at LT pace (see last blog)
Wednesday: 3 mile recovery run
Thursday: 12 mile run (8.5 miles on my own then Bryan met me and we did 3.5 miles together)
Friday: 5 mile recovery run and 75 minute power yoga
Saturday: 22.15 mile long run
Sunday: REST!!

This is also the first week I ran 6 days instead of 5. I plan to keep the miles between 55-60 for the next 4 weeks of training before taper. I've said it before, but I have been feeling so strong during this training....knock on wood! I just hope I can keep this up until race day......7 more weeks!

Total miles for the week = 60.18!!!

3 comments:

Maria said...

You are such a stud muffin!!! Awesome work Sarah, I'm really looking forward to hearing how VT goes. Keep it up!

Cheering you on from NYC,
Maria

Sarah said...

Wow....I don't think I've ever been called a "stud muffin" before :) Thanks!!

Janette said...

Great job on making it to 60+! I'm so jealous!