Monday, April 7, 2008

Breakfast of Champions


Yesterday I was in the supermarket doing some grocery shopping. I was in the cereal aisle and noticed they were out of my usual Kashi Heart to Heart (literally Bryan and I eat a box of this stuff a week...each!) so I started scanning the boxes for something else. I stumbled upon a box of shredded wheat bricks and I immediately grabbed them and put them in my cart with a smile on my face.

Why does shredded wheat make me smile you ask?? My grandpa used to eat this for breakfast all the time, but in true Grandpa fashion, he had to spice it up some...no plain milk for him!

Now there is some controversy in my family as to what goes on the cereal and in what order. Here's my take on it and I think this is similar to what he used to do: You start with the shredded wheat in a bowl, pour black coffee over and around each brick, add a small pat of butter to each (it starts to melt from the hot coffee), then add milk and a sprinkle of sugar.....sounds weird?!?! I can't even remember the last time I ate this, but it brought back memories of sitting at the picnic table in the kitchen of their big house with the "big four" cousins and my grandparents. I think this might have been my first taste of coffee when I was little! I don't know when Grandpa last ate this for breakfast, but I'm guessing it was a few years back. I'm glad to have one more thing (as simple as it sounds) to remind myself of him.

As I ate it, I realized that Grandpa had the right idea with this breakfast....it has every thing that one needs in the morning. Whole grains from the shredded wheat, caffeine in the coffee (a must in the morning), and calcium in the milk. What more could you want....a true breakfast of champions!

So yes, its a little weird, but that was my Grandpa! I think he would be happy to know that this crazy tradition of his put a smile on my face on this cold and cloudy Monday morning :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah - I just discovered your blog & found it really interesting b/c I'm also running BOston this year. I'm new to Brookline and I noticed you said you did a track workout at a public track in Brookline. Where is that track? I'm trying to find a track to do my speed workouts. Good luck on Monday! -Vivian

Sarah said...

Hi Vivian - I'm actually not running Boston this year (ran it last year with a charity). I am running VT City instead on May 25th. Good luck with Boston...I'll be out cheering for everyone! Is this your first Boston?