Monday, April 14, 2008

This time last training....

If you've been following my blog you will see that my training has been going really well this time around. I am feeling stronger than ever and really looking forward to seeing what I can do at Vermont.

Today I set out for an 8 mile run.....nothing special, just a run. I was feeling good and really getting into a rhythm. About half way through I started thinking about my last training cycle for Hartford. All of a sudden I remembered that it was this run....this 8 mile run last training that I quit after 4 miles and came home with tears in my eyes because I was in so much pain and couldn't run anymore. I had been running through the pain for a few weeks before that and it was this run that finally brought me to a halt. I took the next 5 days after that completely off and then hobbled through the next couple weeks running slowly and in pain.

But I'm not going to dwell on the negatives of that run. Even though things didn't turn out the way I had pictured back then, I learned a lot from that experience. Because of that experience, I am a stronger runner now. Clearly my body wasn't ready to handle the demands of a higher mileage training program back then.....but those miles (slow miles!) continued to build my strong running foundation. I definitely don't want to relive the pain I was in last year, but it made me appreciate the abilities I have been given and all the pain free days of running I have now!

I am now about 5.5 weeks away from Vermont. I have pushed my body beyond its comfort zone and this time it hasn't rebelled against me....keep knocking on that wood :)

No comments: