Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Awesome Tempo Run!

I was a little nervous for my tempo run on Monday...10 miles total with 5 miles at lactate threshold pace. Luckily, the weather was almost perfect...63 degrees, cloudy, with a light mist. The only negative was a strong wind coming from the east. But I am not going to complain about it at all...its not often we get cool temps like that in at the end of July!

I warmed up for 3 miles (9:05 pace) and then did the 5 LT pace miles. My splits looked like this (I bet you can guess which miles I had the headwind and which miles the wind was at my back!):

8:16--ok...a little slow
8:14--just put my head down and run through the wind
7:57--now that's more like it
7:44--wow....where is this speed coming from?
7:41--last mile.....make it count!

I ended with a 2 mile cool down that was still pretty fast (8:26 pace) and my overall pace was 8:25. The best thing about this run was that I felt awesome the entire time, especially in those last 3 LT miles. It's runs like this that make me think the magical 3:40 marathon (my BQ time) is a possibility!! But I don't want to get my hopes up....there's still lots of training to be done!

Of course just as quickly as the cool weather moved in, it was out of here. Can someone explain to me how it can go from 60 to 90 degrees over just 48 hours? Today I did an 11 mile medium-long run. It was hot and my legs felt heavy, but I averaged an 8:44 pace overall with the last mile at 8:17 (I'm working on my finishing kick!) Its supposed to stay hot and humid for the next few days....luckily tomorrow is a rest day so I'll get some relief.

No comments: