Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Who needs a florist??

Last week Bryan and I hiked in Albion Basin at Alta Ski Resort.  It was a strange feeling to be hiking where we ski but without the snow covered trails*.  But the reason we chose this hike was because the basin is filled with wildflowers this time of the year.  And when I say filled, I mean FILLED!

We started our hike up Catherine's Pass and saw plenty of flowers which we thought were beautiful. We hiked to the top of Sunset Peak which overlooks both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons and saw even more flowers.  So we were even more shocked when we started coming down Albion Basin to see that there were literally flowers everywhere!  At one point they were so tall and thick that they were up to our waists and you couldn't even see the trail.  Of course the camera battery died in the most stunning section of the hike, but here are some pictures that we got...


                      **




A hummingbird enjoying the flowers.  We heard them zipping by us a lot and were able to snap a few pictures.

The chipmunks were very daring as you can see in this picture.  One even ate a peanut out of my hand!

*while not covered, there was still snow (and ski tracks) on some of the slopes...in AUGUST!

A panorama shot Bryan put together from the top of Sunset Peak

**I swear I really do have different clothes to hike in.  For some reason, I am wearing my pink shirt in EVERY picture of hiking I post on my blog!

5 comments:

michquig said...

Wow,wow,wow...I am jealous!
Lovely!!!!

Maureen said...

So beautiful! Can't wait to see it all myself!

Diane said...

Gorgeous!
I love the little hummer!

Anonymous said...

We bought a new camera--let's put it to good use!

Megan said...

Awesome pics! Great shots Bry! And I love chipmunks! haha