Monday, August 9, 2010

Shake, RATTLE, and Roll!


Last week, Bryan was working late so I was out on a solo run in the canyon.  I was coming back down and enjoying finally being able to breath on the downhill when I saw a couple looking at something on the side of the road by the creek.  I didn't think much of it but as I got closer, the woman said to me "You want to see a snake?"  

Now I'm not a fan of snakes.  I've been warned when running on the trails to watch my step and I see signs warning of their presence.  Some people are afraid of seeing bears or mountain lions in the mountains (yes, we have them here).  I'd take one of those over being surprised by a snake any day!  

But...for some reason I stopped running and took a look at this snake.  I think my courage came since I knew he was there vs being surprised as he slithered across my path.  I looked down and saw a medium size snake on the rocks by the creek. As I continued to scan him, I got to his tail and remarked "OH!!"  I had come across my first rattle....and there was definitely no baby on the other end playing with it! 

The rattlesnake didn't seem to care that we were looking at him and he definitely wasn't shaking the rattle...but I didn't get any closer to find out.  Now I keep my eye on the creek rocks whenever I run by.  The strange thing is, I'm not sure if I'm hoping not to see another or if I kind of want to see one again.  

Maybe I shouldn't run with my ipod so I can hear any shake, RATTLE, and rolling going on around me!

Note:  I DID NOT take this picture!  There was no way I'd get that close to one of those things!

1 comment:

Dad said...

I was wondering how you got this picture while running! I didn't think you ran with a camera.