Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sarah's "could this have taken any longer" Boston Race Reflections

***A note - I started writing this early last week and just got around to finishing it, hence the date of the post***

I don't know if I should call this a race report or not because its more of a relection on the day rather than the technical details of splits and pace. But for the non-runners reading, this is probably more interesting!

To start, I really shouldn't be the one writing this RR. There was nothing particularly interesting or exciting about my race - start slow, fairly even splits, Heartbreak Hill, cheering fans, finish line on Boyleston - same as my first 2 Bostons. What made this race so special was not the race itself but rather racing it with my husband...so he should be the one writing this RR! But since that's not going to happen, I'll do my best!

The Boston Marathon has always been associated with fun memories for me. Before I was a runner, I enjoyed cheering on the runners from Coolidge Corner. Then I became a runner and enjoyed all those people cheering for me. I can honestly say that this year's Boston Marathon was the most fun and memorable marathon that I have ever ran! Getting to experience the race with Bryan - seeing his nervousness at the start, his excitement as we started running, his push up the hills, his determination (and pain) through the late miles, and the huge smile on his face when we crossed that finish line - well I can't imagine a better time!

Because Bryan was a charity runner, we started in the back. The waaaaaay back. Like corral 27 out of 27. While we did a lot of weaving during the first 2 miles, this was also a bit of a blessing as it kept us from going out too fast (a common mistake on this course). We hit our stride by mile 3 and I think we were both surprised how fast the miles were ticking off. All of a sudden we were at the 10k and we both looked at each other in surprise....it went by so fast! The crowds were awesome - probably the best I've seen for this race - and we were soaking in all of it.

Bryan was feeling so good that I had to keep reeling his pace in for the first 16 miles. He kept saying "but it feels so easy" and my response was "Good! I'm trying to make it feel easy for as long as possible!" I'm not sure if he believed me then, but I think by about mile 23 he was glad I did that ;) It was fun to see him enjoying it so much and I think he finally got why I love running marathons, especially Boston.

He powered up the hills which was great because it forced me to power up them too (he's a stronger hill runner than I am). And as his mind started playing tricks on him in the late miles begging him to stop running, I was there to push him along. We really are a great team!

As tired and as hurting as he was at the end, seeing the smile on his face as we ran down Boyleston (seriously did they move the finish line even further down the street this year?!?) put the biggest smile on my face. I was so proud of him and honestly a bit relieved myself since I was the once who created his training plan and coached him!

And since this is a RR, here are the technical details:

Finish time - 3:42:14
Average Pace - 8:29

Split - 2 minute positive split....not bad on this course!

5k - 26:43
10k - 52:51
15k - 1:18:41
20k - 1:44:36
13.1 miles - 1:50:17
25k - 2:10:14
30k - 2:37:21
35k - 3:04:02
40k - 3:30:57

So while it wasn't my fastest marathon, it was my fastest Boston Marathon and hands down my most fun marathon experience!

At the Expo

Our stomping ground...we must have run those hills 30+ times during training!

In Boston Common ready for the long ride out to Hopkinton (7:00am!)

Some of our fabulous cheering section at mile 3.5
(I say this every year but we couldn't have done it without their support!)

Coming by at mile 3.5

Waving hi and bye at the same time as we zip by!

We spot our very large cheering section at mile 18!

Finished! Medals, check...space blankets, check...huge smiles, CHECK!

Our coveted Boston Marathon jackets....Bryan learned that this is how you earn it!

No comments: