Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A solid week

I wasn't sure how last week would feel coming off of New Bedford.  My legs felt fine after the race (one indication that I could have run faster) but I was mentally discouraged.  I knew I could either use this as an excuse to have a bad week of training or use it as a push to train harder to prove to myself that I was stronger than my half marathon performance.  And that's exactly what I did!

Monday - An easy paced 10 miles around the river.  It felt good to shake out my legs, but the fact that I wasn't sore annoyed me a bit....I should have run that half faster!

Tuesday - Another easy paced 5.5 miles.  Even though I felt okay, I didn't want to take any chances and run anything of quality too soon after the half.  Even though it was slower than I wanted, I still ran faster than my usual long run pace so I took it easy a second day.  I also had swim class that night - new teacher....harder workout! 

Wednesday - 5 mile pace run in the morning including 3.5 miles at goal marathon pace.  Then over lunch I ran another 7.2 miles with two girls from work....one of which is a 3:00:20 marathoner so her easy pace is my fast pace!  

Thursday - Rest!  I was supposed to swim, but my hair appointment took priority so I took the day off all exercise and got a cut and highlight.

Friday - A comfortable 6.9 mile run at lunch.  

Saturday - 22 mile long run!  I went from my house (about 1 mile from mile 21 of the marathon course) and ran the course backwards for 11 miles.  This got me just past Wellesley College and into Natick.  Then I turned around and ran back.  I was really pleased with this run as I ran a 3 minute negative split and felt really good going up the Comm Ave hills.

Sunday - 6.4 mile recovery run.  I was in a bad mood on Sunday morning.....just felt blah.  So I told myself I could be as annoyed and pissy while I was running but once I finished, I had to be happy.  And that's what I did!  It sometimes amazes me the power running has over my mood!  Plus I was really happy that my legs felt pretty good after 22 miles the day before.

I finished the week with 63 miles...not bad coming off a half marathon race!!  And the fact that I am feeling good is very encouraging!  Only a few more hard runs before I start taper....then the madness sets in :)

On a side note.....Wednesday night, Bryan and I met up with some friends (including fellow Team BMCer Steph) at the new House of Blues in Boston to see a band called Ozomatli.  If you've been reading my blog, you might remember me talking about them a couple months ago.  They are a great band from LA with a Hispanic flare.....great running music!!  I highly recommend them - my two favorite songs include "Can't Stop" and "When I close my eyes"  Listen to them....you won't be sorry!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I was totally inspired by it all but the line that moved me to tears was, "my hair appointment took priority."

Ozo was awesome. I thought they were better this time around. Even if I was attacked by the wild mane of a shirtless mullet!