Sunday, October 26, 2008

Keeping it all in perspective

I will admit that I, like many runners out there, get too caught up in the competitive aspect of running.....paces, PRs, splits, finishing places.  For the most part, its competition with myself and usually I feed off this, but sometimes it becomes too much.  

Take Saturday for example.  I decided to run the YMCA Oak Scare 5k that was being held in my town.  I have been wanting to race a 5k for a while but it never fit in my marathon training.  I don't feel my 5k PR adequately shows my abilities (my 4.2 mile and 5 mile race paces are faster than my 5k PR??).  As we started the race, I realized within a mile that my body, exactly 2 weeks post marathon, was not ready to race!!  My heart rate was a little high and my pace was no where near where it should have been.  Add this to the fact that the course ran up one of the steepest hills in my town (I don't even like to run down this hill because its so steep!)  I got frustrated because I was really hoping for a big PR but realized this wasn't going to happen given my still recovering muscles.  

I finished, grabbed some water, and started walking back to my house along the final stretch of the course.  As I was watching the people still running I realized that this was what these local 5ks were all about.....the mother pushing her two kids in a jogging stroller all dressed up as characters from the Wizard of Oz (more power to her for pushing that thing up the hills!) as the kids chant "Run Mommy Run!!"....the older woman knowing she was close to last place but still having fun and smiling....the disabled man that was pushed in a wheel chair for the first 3 miles who left his chair to be helped by friends/family to walk across the finish line himself no matter how long it took him.  

These people were out there for various reasons known only to them, but I'm going to guess they weren't calculating their splits every mile wondering if they were going to beat their PR or if they would place in their age group.  Sometimes I need to remind myself that there is more to running than numbers and competition.  Sometimes its about brining people together that would never otherwise be connected to share in something so simple as putting one foot in front of the other.  

And as for that 5k PR I am seeking....it didn't happen, but it was a great race none the less!

2 comments:

wayfool said...

Nice job regardless... its not an easy course. I was going for a PR but didn't come close either. I have two recommendations if you want to try for one next time: 1. find a flatter course 2. pick a 5K one or two weeks before your next marathon. You'll be rested because of the taper, but going all out on the 5K won't impact your performance.

The wheelchair moment was pretty touching!

Steph said...

As someone whose perspective about running has changed due to developments in my life, it is so hard to let go of some of the old habits. But I have found that there is beauty in "my new running world" and I finally feel comfortable in it.