Sunday, January 27, 2008

Marathon Movie and Long Run

On Thursday I went to see The Spirit of the Marathon, the first feature length documentary on the history and running of the marathon. It followed 6 runners as they trained for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. I have been waiting for this movie to come out for a year and a half so I was really excited to see it (I think I've watched the trailer online about 50 times!) and it lived up to my expectations! I could relate to many of the runners....even elite Deena Kastor as she struggled through an injury during her training. I also loved Jerry, the 70 year old running his 5th marathon......I only hope to be half as active as him at that age. The movie really captured the range of emotions that runners go through while preparing for such a gruelling event. It was just the motivation I needed as I start my marathon training. They are having an encore presentation on February 21st for anyone who missed it.

On Saturday I was supposed to do a 12 mile medium-long run, but it ended up being 13 miles because I calculated it wrong....oopps! It was a beautiful day out (low 30's, sunny, and little wind) and I felt really good. I averaged an 8:45 pace and had to focus on slowing down for the first 8 miles as my legs kept wanting to move faster.

Today was a rest day and I went to a 90 minute yoga class......its great because I would never stretch for 90 minutes on my own. My hips are thanking me for all the hip openers we did in class!

Total miles for the week: 33.1

No comments: